Cornmeal biscuits with cheddar and chipotle (Magazine: Bon Appetit, March 2006)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
¾ cup(packed chopped green onions)
1 ½ cup all purpose flour
½ cup yellow cornmeal
2 tablespoons sugar
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup (1stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
1 ½ cups (packed coarsely grated yellow extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1 large egg
¾ cup (about) buttermilk
1 table spoon finely minced canned chipotle chilies in adobo
1 egg, beaten with 1 table spoon whipping cream (for glaze)
- Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 425 F.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add green onions and sauté 2 minutes to soften slightly. Remove fro heat.
- Blend flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and baking soda in processor. Add ½ chilled butter; cut in using on/ff turns. Add cheese, cut in using on/off turns.Transfer flour mixture to large bowl.
- Whisk 1 egg in glass measuring cup. Add enough buttermilk to egg to measure 1 cup; stir in green-onion mixture and chipotles.
- Make well in center of dry ingredients. Pour butter mixture into well; mix just until evenly moistened.
- Turn dough out onto generously flour surface. Knead gently just until dough holds together, about 10 turns. Pat out on generously floured surface to 2/4-in-thicj. Using 3-inch round cutter, cut out biscuit. Transfer to ungreased baking sheet, spacing 1 inch apart. Gather dough scraps; pat out to ¾-inch thickness and cut out additional biscuits. Brush biscuits with egg glaze.
- Bake biscuits until golden, tested inserted into center comes out clean, and biscuits fell firm, about 18 minutes. Cool on rack 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Tips: Build a better biscuit
1. Use chilled butter; it will distribute more evenly throughout the biscuit dough.
2. Don’t substitute regular milk for the buttermilk: slightly acidic, buttermilk adds tang and makes biscuits tender.
3. Don’t over work the dough. For a light, fluffy biscuit, be sure to mix all of the ingredients together just until the dough is moist, and knead the dough gently just until it holds together.